Emerging Communicators

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Ever Feel Like You Got Dropped Off in the Middle of Nowhere?

Ahhhhh... graduation! For me, it was May 2005 in Beasley Performing Arts Coliseum in picturesque Pullman, Wash. Myself and a couple thousand other Communication majors packed most of the place, while some Political Science majors and a couple others were allowed to sit along the other wall.

As I sat there, gowned in black and talking to my best friend at Central on my cell phone, I wondered... what's next? In what seemed like nearly three hours, and more sadly actually was three hours, I had my name butchered by our legendary voice of the Cougars (eventhough I spelled it FO-NET-ICK-LEE) and listened to our totalitarian university president

For me, being a Central Washington-raised guy, I wasn't exactly ready to head out into the cut-throat world of the Seattle area job market. So, naturally I turned the other direction on my way out of Pullman and drove directly to Spokane. (Mistake number 1)

Spokane, the city of... Yeah, I was at a loss for words too. I had been making contact with different communication related employers in Spokane and learned immediately how flooded the communication job market was. In three days I had contacted every PR firm, ad agency and major media outlet in the city with absolutely no leads. So, I decided to just throw myself out there, thinking that "hey, any experience is good experience." (Mistake number 2)

Luckily, I was saved from flipping burgers when my girlfriend, who at the time was living with me (that is a totally different kind of mistake) was offered a job in Seattle. Now, here is where things get a little crazy, but ultimately end up all right.

So, we left Spokane after being there all of one week. In Seattle my girlfriend interviewed with a placement company for college students located in Renton. They glorified this job in the field where she had always wanted to work, event planning. It was a little wierd to be that the job could be so good, yet they interviewed her, hired her and she started the next day. At the time, who was I to talk? I was still living off my graduation money.

We lived at a friend's apartment for a couple days until we could find an overpriced, undersized apartment in Belltown.

For the next month, I called, e-mailed, visited and anything else I could think of with every PR, advertising and other firm in the city. Finally, I got a call back from a company that was in no way involved in anything that I loved, except money....

/this is where the trouble begins.... check in next time to see

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home